Monday, March 17, 2014

Saint Patrick's Day

March 17th, Saint Patties Day. While some will be drinking and worshiping the porcelain throne, I will be making traditional Irish food and watching Boondocks Saints. Every St. Patty's day, I make Shepherds Pie. I know corned beef and cabbage is more traditional, but I don't like cabbage unless its in an egg roll. As for corned beef, I have only liked it made by one person.

This is one I have based my pie off of before:

http://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-irish-shepherds-pie-302120

Of course this one turns out too watery. I reduce the liquid by about 1/4-1/3 the amount they suggest. The wine is optional. It might turn out a little better if instead of the full glass of wine, just using beef stock, au jus, or french onion soup. It would make it a little different. Or, if you are still wanting to go for the St. Patty's theme, substituting the wine for Guinness.

Whenever I make this recipe, it always comes out tasting delicious. I also make my potatoes a little dry because they always seem to soak up too much moisture. Also, I make sure the dish is almost double the size of what I need. Boiling over has always been a problem with my pies.

Happy Saint Patty's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment