Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Howie's Diner

In the small town of Lawrenceburg, Indiana sits the little gem called Howie's Diner. When I first dined here, it was explained to me that it was a "truck stop diner" and if I didn't like it, we didn't have to stay. I love little diners and dives, but only if they are good. I have been to places that a rat wouldn't even eat from...

I was skeptical at first. Surely a diner at a gas station will be nothing to write home about, let alone be good enough to consume anything that came out of it. Being used to the typical "trucker" stereotype, I definitely had my doubts.

Its a cutesy, stereo typical diner. Pictures of Elvis and Marilyn Monroe on the walls, 1950's feel to it. The staff are friendly and, the boyfriend being a local, even talked to a cook whom he knows. The sweet tea is freshly brewed and some of the best I have ever had. I love Southern Sweet Tea, but not when it tastes like you are licking a sugar cube. This tea was sweet but still have a robust tea flavor.

There are certain rules I follow when going to eat at a diner when I don't know what the food is like. I normally get something that is familiar and hard to screw up. So, I got an open-faced roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. Let me tell you, this made me fall in love. The mashed potatoes were ever so slightly lumpy, giving it that homemade feel. The gravy was a slightly peppery beef gravy that I would eat on a flip flop. The roast beef....mmmm.

The place was also clean, which is a huge factor for me. Not like clean for a truck stop, but a nice restaurant clean (which is hard to find at a truck stop nowadays) I was in love at first bite. A 24 hour location in the truck stop area of a small town in Indiana is the best place to go to eat when I am visiting the boyfriend's family. I actually got a little sad this weekend when we did not stop for a bite. I just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover. Or even a diner by its gas station.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a marvelous meal .. get me some too ? No :( ... from mom

    ReplyDelete