Monday, May 20, 2013

White Westie Birthday Cake

As few know, my mother is practically obsessed with White Westies. She even goes as far to name the one on her desktop. If she could, she would have a White Westie farm. However, seeing as how her residence isn't equipped to support a bazillion little fluff ball pups, my sister and I did the next best thing: have a Westie-themed surprise birthday party for her. Now, this back story is to lead up to the main point of this post. Because every birthday would not be complete without a cake....I made her a chocolate cake with a White Westie on it. I used a template (provided by my sister) and spread 3 layers of white icing over it. I let it set for a few minutes and slowly removed the template. I found a neat little trick on youtube with fondant for square cakes. Take a paper towel that doesn't give off lent, like Viva or something, and add a little bit of water. Ring it out thoroughly until its just damp. Lay it on top of the cake and smooth it down with a fondant smoother or your hand. Do the sides, corners and edges for a clean-cut feel. It looks a lot better and helps remove any excess powdered sugar.  It turned out perfectly. The chocolate fondant tastes like a chewy tootsie roll, but I mainly use it for looks. I did a simple white border around the bottom and voila, White Westie cake! The cake itself is chocolate with a chocolate fudge frosting. Though it was a waste of white icing, it was well worth it to give my mother a cake I knew she would love. For questions about this or any other of my works, or for more information about my cake making, leave comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment