Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fluff Bakery, Athens Ohio

Like a band aid, some things are better off when you don't hesitate. I did not really care for this place. I was looking forward to experiencing the food and coffee here, having heard so many great things about it. After entering, I found the menu hard to read. A lot was jumbled up on the chalk boards and they used, what I like to call "seller's lingo". "Seller's lingo" is a fancy way of saying their descriptions are a bunch of B.S. that make the customers think they are getting something special or a bargain.

I got an Iced Mocha Coffee with an extra shot of espresso. The girl taking my order told me about the mocha milk they make for this drink that contains "20 shots of espresso, half and half, skim milk and Hersey's chocolate". She ranted about how sweet, chocolaty and delicious it was, so I gave in and tried it. It was NOT at all chocolaty and not even in the least sweet. It tasted like espresso with ice. I was highly disappointed. Even after I added simple syrup to it, which they do offer at the sugar it up station, there was hardly any improvement.

But the real kicker was the hubby's drink. He got the "Train Catcher" It was half mocha milk, half toddy. To quote the hubby "It was half mocha mix, half toddy and all gross". It tasted like someone poured ice water in a shot of espresso.

The only plus side were the pastries. I got a honey glazed blueberry scone and the hubs got a peanut butter cookie. To me, it seemed like a kindergartner priced their pastries because everything was either $2 or $2.50. Keeping it simple, I understand, but I know the pastry industry and the items they had was either way over priced or they were practically giving them away for free.

The music in this place was mind blowing, and not in a good way. Sort of Latino band stand music, it was loud and we had to practically yell to talk to the employees. The cashier did not seem informed at all about the products, adding to the disappointment. Oh, and the kitchen closes at 5, before the bakery closes.

We gave this place 2 stars, because the tables and pastries were nice. The decor looked like a college kid who liked the 1950's retro era decorated it but didn't have a sufficient budget to finish the job.

Not worth the hype.

Mini Chef.



Ok, aftermath rant. I found out today that this place charged me twice. I don't know if it was a holding charge or they are just incompetent. I am expecting a call from the manager when they figure out what is going on. This marks it down to a .5 of a star, still like the tables. I will post the results.

1 comment:

  1. well, it seems to be an honest opinion of the place, down to the decor :)
    from lynn

    ReplyDelete