Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Brenen's Coffee Cafe, Athens Ohio

This is a coffee/sandwich shop on Court Street, just a hop, skip and a jump away from OU. It serves coffee, specialty drinks, sandwiches, homemade ice cream, various salads and soups. It has plenty of inside seating, as well as outside. Its a quaint place, simple decor, and plays some pretty awesome alternative and pop music.

This place rarely disappoints. I usually get a Milky Way (sound familiar?) with soy and no whip. Here, the soy definitely makes it taste like a cookie, if it is made right. They do blend all their hot drinks and it is perfect if you aren't wanting a really strong coffee taste. Of course, I always put my orders in as Batman, which makes the staff laugh and somewhere question my sanity. They try to serve in a timely manner, but patience is supposed to be a virtue.

However my last visit wasn't quite up to par. I went with my husband, my sister and her boyfriend. We got sandwiches and, of course, coffee. My sister hates cold coffee but I have been slowly converting her to frappicinos, as long as they taste good. Now I will say they this guy was new and he was still being trained. However, one must know not to put in so much caramel syrup that is tastes like you are licking a sugar cube. It was far too overpowering and extremely sweet. Luckily, that is how my sister's boyfriend likes his drinks. So nothing was lost. My replacement was a Frozen Lemonade, which was strong as well but that is how I take my lemonade.

Their sandwiches are delicious. I always get mine on ciabatta. That day the hubby got a Court on Bleu. A play for Cordon Bleu. It had the usual suspects, turkey, ham, lettuce, tomato, honey mustard and I believe onions. It was good, even though I loath honey mustard. They do come with sides, which is nice since the sandwiches are about $4-7.

During the summer, this place is not really too busy. Everything dies down when OU is not in session, but the peaceful solidarity is refreshing from the insane chaos when people are horded around. But, if you like a crowd, make sure to come at peak hours between August and May.

I give them 4 stars.

Mini Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment