Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Coffee Cup RIP, Nelsonville Ohio


Throughout all of my dining experience, one has been lost in the back of my mind. The Coffee Cup, once a great hangout for me and my college friends, was burned to the ground by a grease fire about a year or two ago. We were devastated by the news and I assume the owners are cutting their losses and not attempting to rebuild or relocate. It was a quaint place, though the decor was lacking. It was like a garage sale threw up on one site and Amish business people designed the other side. The servers were all teenage cell phone abusers but most were nice and attentive. Depending on who was working that nice depended on the quality of food. It ranged from good to fabulous. The chicken alfredo and another dish that I cannot remember the name of were my go-tos. The nameless dish had pasta with chicken, tomatoes, herbs, cheese and olive oil. Sadly that is all I remember if it. The chicken alfredo was heavenly. The sauce was creamy and cheesy, which I love in my alfredo sauces. The only thing I did not like about the dishes was that whoever was plating them felt the innate need to dump large amounts of parsley on the rim of the plate. Now, these rims were 3-4” wide. That is a lot of wasted parsley. 
We did have some dislikes about the place: one waitress served our vegetarian friend chicken and when she was told, again, that she was vegetarian she responded with “well can’t you just take the chicken off?”. Needless to say we did not tip her nearly as well as we did everyone else. They only toasted bread on one side. It was annoying seeing as how it was toast, not toasted bread.
But we loved it there. The coffee was ehh but we stayed for at least 4 hours. We knew we annoyed them but we left generous, and creatively folded tips. That was another thing of ours, folding our tips in origami or just weird ways. We balanced two forks on quarters, creating an entire airplane scene.
Despite the flaws, we loved this place. Endless coffee and they never kicked us out, no matter how routy we were. We even left messages for them on our checks before we left. 
All in all, I give this place 4 stars :)
Mini Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment